[Kde-pim] [RFC] ContactGroup storage format

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 4 20:00:44 GMT 2007

Hi Tobias,

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:23:16PM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > As far as I understand it is bascially a formalized description of the
> > current distribution list items, right?
>
> Yes, but it also describes how the distribution lists can be stored as
> xml document.

Right :)

> > I am unsure though if generalizing the name to ContactGroup but still
> > keeping the e-mail aspect as the distribution criteria won't be confusing
> > or make future extensions awkward.
>
> So what's the difference between a group of contacts and a distribution
> list? ;)

A contact group groups contacts for whatever purpose, a distribution list
groups them for distributing something to them.

From my point of view a distribution list is a spezialisation of a contact
group, but I guess the other forms for grouping are usually done through
tagging, right?

> That data structure is mainly used for grouping contacts, sending mails
> to multiple persons and using the lists as base for form letters in
> kword. As you are free to fill the list with references to contacts only,
> where the contacts have all fields set, it can be used for everything.

Hmm.
I though maybe there is a possibility not to require email for the ContactData
part, e.g. allow an entry with a FAX number in a list of FAX receipients, and
in the case of ContactReference maybe something like "type of address" (e.g.
email, home address, work adress) and "index of address" (if a type can have
more than one entry)

A bit like

<contactgroup>
  <id>abcd</id>
  <name>Video Night</name>

  <contactReference>
    <id>xyz1</id>
    <email>0</email> <!-- preferred email -->
  </contactReference>

  <contactReference>
    <id>xyz2</id>
    <email>1</email> <!-- second email -->
  </contactReference>
</contactgroup>

Or for print
<contactgroup>
  <id>abcd</id>
  <name>Birthday Party</name>

  <contactReference>
    <id>xyz1</id>
    <address type="home">1</address> <!-- non-main home address, e.g student
at holiday location (parent's home probably) -->
  </contactReference>

  <contactReference>
    <id>xyz2</id>
    <address type="work">0</email> <!-- main work address -->
  </contactReference>
</contactgroup>

Cheers,
Kevin