[Kde-pim] Akonadi as a freedesktop.org PIM infrastructure

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Sun Aug 19 04:55:58 BST 2007

On 8/18/07, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Saturday 18 August 2007, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > I'm not involved in this, but I'd like to suggest something: maybe open
> > webpage at fd.o, but keep the repository in KDE SVN... Would that work?
>
> Of course I can't be sure, but I am afraid that it won't.
>
> There is some kind of perception barrier around KDE. The moment something
> enters "our" realm, it gets "tainted".
>
> See Strigi for example: when Jos (the other one) moved it to kdesupport,
> it
> basically became "KDE's search engine". People will just assume that it
> has
> all sorts of "evil" KDE dependencies and developers who are clever enought
> check for themselves and decide to use it, will get flamed by their users
> and
> probably also by peers why on earth the started to "create a dependency on
> KDE".
>
> You might have read Jos (again the other one :)) write about this XML
> output
> thingy he has created in order to allow third parties to use the file data
> extraction framework to feed any other indexer, i.e. not actually use
> Strigi
> as the "search engine" but still be able to use the underlying libraries
> capabilities for data gathering.
> I might be wrong, but my current bet is that this will not happen.

Yeah, I've seen his frustrations in that area a few times. Strigi being the
search enginge with the least dependencies, and ppl saying 'tracker is the
most desktop independent' while that's tied to gnome... For many ppl,
depending on Gnome == desktop independent.

This is just an immensely political issue. Moving to freedesktop.org
> infrastructure is not a magical way of "untainting" your code, but it
> removes
> a lot of potential ammunition against you.
>
> Lets be frank:
> - having parts of the project, e.g. akonadiserver, hosted elsewhere will
> make
> development more difficult
> - if at all, adoption by others will take a long time
>
> So what do we gain?
> - not yet again, a couple of years down the road, being told "why do you
> not
> use standard $foo, like 'everyone else'?"
> - publicity (which can possibly lead to other advantages, e.g. attract
> developers, see KOffice)
>
> Or in the form of an anology:
> it is like the difference between a vocal and a written invitation to a
> party:
> doesn't mean they show up, but it is unlikely they will deny having known
> about it.

Well, would there be ANY way to come to a compromise? I mean, if it has a
FD.O page, but the repository isn't there but it links to KDE svn, or even
just automatically syncs with it or something, wouldn't that work?

Cheers,