[Kde-pim] KMail and "encrypt to self" issue

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Thu Aug 23 10:02:19 BST 2007

Am Donnerstag 23 August 2007 10:31:59 schrieb Alexis Papadopoulos:
> Hello,
>
> I'm attaching a patch which modifies cryptplug in order to set a passphrase
> callback (see gpgme_set_passphrase_cb) for when no gpg-agent is running.
> The callback code is directly taken and adapted from libkpgp which is
> rather nice since you get the same dialog when you wish to encrypt a mail
> (although when decryption DOES work, there's yet another dialog which is
> used, don't know exactly where it comes from, probably likpgp, which isn't
> very consistent, but then again, it works...).
>
> This fixes the following issue :
> _ Any encrypted mail whose PGP content is located within an
> application/pgp-encrypted Content-Type will not get decrypted if no
> gpg-agent is running. In other words, mails in your SENT folder which were
> encrypted with your private key ("never encrypt to self" must be
> unchecked), or encrypted mails you receive from other KMail clients (at
> least in the tests I've made)
>
> I leave this to your consideration and will open a bug entry if deemed
> necessary.
>
> Btw, Markus, could you please try and launch gpg-agent to see if this fixes
> your issues ? We most probably have the same problem (although I cannot
> explain why you're asked for a passphrase with deleted keys :S). Basically,
> do this within a terminal :
> eval `gpg-agent --daemon`
> kmail
>
> Tell us if this allows you to decrypt the mails you didn't get a dialog for
> before.
>
> Thanks,
> acp

Ok, so I did.
Here's the output:

~$ eval gpg-agent --daemon
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-vSKdW6/S.gpg-agent:5450:1; export GPG_AGENT_INFO;
~$

Seems ok, doesn't it?

But after all - same procedure as before:
The old mail can be decrypted, new ones can only be encrypted.

I also removed ~.gnupg, and stopped/started kpgp and kontact, but this
behaviour does not change!
Can Kmail have the key somewhere in a cache? That's not meant to be like that,
isn't it? Would that be secure?

Strange, strange.
I'll try another reboot now.
CU!
--

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Markus Feilner

Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Koetztingerstr 6c                93057 Regensburg
fon regensburg                  +49 941 8107989
mobil                           +49 170 3027092=20
www: www.feilner-it.net mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net
My new book - Out now: http://www.packtpub.com/openvpn/book
OPENVPN : Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks