[Kde-pim] Query regarding MDN's

Christian Schaarschmidt schaarsc at gmx.de
Tue Aug 7 17:57:13 BST 2007

Am Dienstag, 7. August 2007 17:06 schrieb Peregrine:
> Hello,
>
>   I've noticed that kmail is occasionally sending out a 'deleted
> unseen' MDN without any kind of user prompt, even although I have it
> set to 'ask'. This has already caused me some minor issues (such as
> the times it spammed a mailing list) but I also have concerns about
> potential spam issues - surely the MDN could be seen as an indicator
> that an email address is valid to a email address harvester?
>
>   Is this a feature or a bug? I'm using kmail 1.9.7, on a gentoo system.

I think this issue was introduced with rev 658035
and is related to/dup of Bug 148326

while in AutomaticAction Mode the users settings are not checked. the reason
for the patch was, that if I setup a filter I want that filter to execute my
commands no matter what other settings I have set.
looks like FilterActions are not only used for Filters ...

I see different options:
- revert the whole patch and reopen Bug 91252
- add an option IgnoreMDNSettingsInAutoMode: yes/no;
  (there is still the GUI issue here)
- allow GUI in Filters and allways check user settings
  not very usefull for incoming mail filters.
- don't use FilterAction outside filters e.g. not in kmcommands.cpp
  and use AutomaticMode in Filter; ManualMode for the rest
  AutomaticMode continues to ignore settings
(Why is there a KMFilterAction::sendMDN( msg, KMime::MDN::Dispatched );
in RedirectCommand anyway?)

My preferred solution would be to use AutomaticMode for filters only and
ignore users settings. ManualMode for the rest with user settings.

Opinions?

Regards
Christian