[Kde-pim] Threaded ldap search class

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 13:49:36 BST 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 12 April 2007, Szombathelyi György wrote:
> I'm currently porting KUser to use KLDAP instead of kio_ldap, during
> this I'll experiment with LdapSearch to block only for short periods.
> I've got a question about your waitForResult(): why does it need to have
> the QTime hack? Something breaks the waiting in ldap_result, so it
> returns before timeout?
It probably isn't needed. I started off by looking at some of the waitFor...
functions form QIODevice and descendents. Looking at it again now, I think
that you're right and we can do away with the do...while() QTimer loop.

> Working on OpenLDAP is definitely a good thing, but it would be nice to
> make KDLAP work with other LDAP client libraries (I'll want to make it
> work win WLDAP32.dll in Windows somewhen...It's not hard, the API is the
>   same in 99%, just need to adapt the CMake files, but first I need to
> set up a Windows build system for KDE).
I agree. I've not tackled the win32 build environment yet either. I did try a
while back but ran into problems with the Qt DBUS interaction. I'll try again
soon.

> > I really need to get working on the ldapmodel again though. My thoughts
> > for this are to have a single class, LdapModel, derived from
> > QAbstractItemModel And then two convenience proxy models that filter it
> > to display the structural aspects of the ldap tree and the contents of a
> > single ldapobject in the hierarchy. I need to do some more thinking on
> > whether this is a sensible approach though.
>
> Sorry, I can't really help in this now, but you seems to be more
> experienced than me on this model-view thing, so just go ahead!
No problem. I'm doing quite a bit of model-view work in my day-job at the
moment so I'm slowly getting to grips with it. I should get a chance to do
some more this weekend and sort out some of the APIDOX too.

Cheers,

Sean