[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/akonadi

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Apr 29 23:20:46 BST 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 15:12, Volker Krause wrote:

> "Heavy dependency" btw. means a 30M compile time only dependency here, we
> don't link against any boost library currently. And just for comparison: my
> Qt4 folder (source + build) is about 1.6G, my KDE4 folder (sources, build
> and installation of libs, base + pim) even 7.5G.

Because of its template magic Boost can create heavy compile-time requirements
in terms of memory usage. That's probably more significant than the size of
the sources.

> You might be right that it looks unusual for developers used to Qt style,
> but if I have to choose between something that looks odd to me but works
> and provides everything I want and something with a familar looking API
> which I have to write myself it's an easy choice.
> Also, in this case (boost::shared_ptr), the boost style can be hidden by a
> simple typedef in most places.

Would it be an option to copy the share_ptr to our sources and hide it behind
a typedef? This would make it look consistent and it would prevent that Boost
stuff we don't want sneaks into our code just because the dependency already
is there.

> > What exactly do we need Boost for?
>
> For now, boost::shared_ptr.
> See Marc Mutz' mail on why we want to use this one:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=117768973320708&w=2
>
> There are some additional reasons like the ability to do dynamic casts on
> shared pointers.

That makes sense.