[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/akonadi

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Apr 29 14:12:43 BST 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 07:57:46 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Saturday 28 April 2007 19:13, Volker Krause wrote:
> > SVN commit 658859 by vkrause:
> >
> > Abort at cmake time instead of compile time if boost has not been found.
>
> Do we really want to depend on Boost? It's a heavy dependency and it feels
> a bit out of place in a Qt environment.

Yes, we want.

"Heavy dependency" btw. means a 30M compile time only dependency here, we
don't link against any boost library currently. And just for comparison: my
Qt4 folder (source + build) is about 1.6G, my KDE4 folder (sources, build and
installation of libs, base + pim) even 7.5G.

You might be right that it looks unusual for developers used to Qt style, but
if I have to choose between something that looks odd to me but works and
provides everything I want and something with a familar looking API which I
have to write myself it's an easy choice.
Also, in this case (boost::shared_ptr), the boost style can be hidden by a
simple typedef in most places.

> What exactly do we need Boost for?

For now, boost::shared_ptr.
See Marc Mutz' mail on why we want to use this one:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=117768973320708&w=2

There are some additional reasons like the ability to do dynamic casts on
shared pointers.

regards
Volker