[Kde-pim] Fwd: Re: Final Applications Date?

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Wed Apr 4 03:45:55 BST 2007

Gah.  /me makes mental note to not answer any e-mails without scrolling down
first to see if there's another thread that answers my questions...  =:/

On Tuesday 03 April 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007 3:09:15 pm Marco Gulino wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Basically it depends.. what's exactly the requirement for the commit?
>
> More details and updates:
>
> By 8 May we must have kpilot and kmobiletools committed to either kdereview
> or to kdepim.  Since kpilot never died, it can move directly into kdepim.
> However, kmobiletools will need to go into kdereview and follow the two
> week review according to http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines

m'Kay.  5/8 was a little earlier than I was hoping for.  I was hoping that
we'd be able to get a very solid 3.5.7 release tagged and then be able to
focus only on porting into trunk.  Now we'll need to try to stabilize 2
branches, it sounds like.

Is there any way to guesstimate how much change will be required to port an
app from {qt,kde}3 to {qt,kde}4.  How are other apps doing this?  The farther
the two codebases diverge, of course, the harder it will be to
bug-fix/enhance/etc....

> Hopefully, kmobiletools will be accepted and moved into kdepim before 1
> June. No new apps will be permitted for KDE 4.0 release after 1 June.
>
> For either app to go into kdepim, we have the following basic requirements:
>  - cmake buildsystem

We've gotten a good head start on this, I think.  I'm assuming that we'll be
able to use the cmake build system that we've put in place for kpilot with
little changes for kde4?

>  - must build

Check.  =;)  Definitely.

>  - must have at least a start of a handbook

I think kpilot already does?

> EBN fixes and i18n we can deal with after moving into kdepim.
>
> Make sense?
> -Allen

Yep, makes sense.

Thanks again for all your work and attention to these details Allen!!  =:D

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-