[Kde-pim] kmail sa-learn ssh stumped

Mark Bucciarelli mark at easymailings.com
Thu Nov 2 16:44:05 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 07:06:04AM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I setup a rule in kmail for reporting spam using sa-learn.  My spamd runs on
> a remote machine, so I use ssh:
>
> execute command: ssh remote sa-learn --spam
>
> Strange thing, it doesn't work.  What's strange is, if I save the spam to a
> file, and manually do:
>
> ssh remote sa-learn --spam < spam_file
>
> it works fine.  I know the kmail filter doesn't work, because if I then
> manually use the line above, the response from sa-learn on stderr indicates
> it was not previously learned.
>
> I don't know how to debug this.  Any ideas?

Does ssh login succeed when you run from kmail?  You should have
something in auth.log or whatever the equivalent is on your
system.

Try verbose flag and pipe output to a file?

ssh -vv remote sa-learn --spam < spam_file > /tmp/kmail.spamd.out 2>&1

I would guess HOMEDIR is off so SSH can't find the key.  Either
that, or kmail is running as a different user?  Try firing a
simple env command from kmail to see what environment you get and
how it compares the environment where the command works.