[Kde-pim] KMail policy regarding closing bugs

Stefan Eilers stefan.eilers at basyskom.de
Fri Nov 3 18:15:08 GMT 2006

Hi Tobias!
Am 02.11.2006 um 17:22 schrieb Tobias Koenig:

>> Modularity is the key word for me. I fear that we don't have the time
>> to rewrite Kmail from ground up.
> I don't want to discourage you but rewriting KMail from ground up
> is the
> only solution we have to keep up with Thunderbird, Opera or Evolution.

Well.. I'm sorry to hear this.

> The code base has grown over years and too less time was invested in
> refactoring, so in the current state as soon as you touch one piece of
> code a side effect may appear somewhere else without noticing it.

Do you have some examples? I would like to look into the code to get
a sense for this problem.

> Of course it is possible to do the refactoring, but it takes a lot
> more
> time (since you have to figure out _all_ code pathes inside kmail)
> than
> rewriting it...

Thanks for the warning.. :)

Mfg., Dr. Stefan Eilers
--

Dr.-Ing. Stefan Eilers
Projekt Manager

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 3969-962 | Fax: -736 | Mobile: +49 170 4213459 |
Jabber: eilers at jabber.org
stefan.eilers at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de