[Kde-pim] More accurate spam filter rules

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Dec 15 08:03:11 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag 14 Dezember 2006 20:35 schrieb Andreas Gungl:

> Hello Martin,
>
> I've just found the time to read your filtering adventure, I'm happy to
> see you could solve the problem.
> Regarding your proposal, if you're using other filters like
> SpamAssassin, you'll end up with doubled time which is very, very
> unfortunate as the processing is already slow for that tool.
> BTW, it looks like I have another workflow. I move all detected spam to
> a separate folder which has a tight expiring schedule. If I find
> another spam message, I train the tool and move it to the spam folder
> as well. But I really don't care for the headers anymore, as that
> folder contains only spam anyway.

Hello Andreas!

Well yes, for spam. But if you mark as unsure or falsely as spam marked
mails as ham headers also won't be changed unless I reapply all filters
including the spamfilter check. And there are some mails I have no
filters for which will have the incorrect headers then.

But I see your point that for slow spam filters this is not an option. So
for know I just added a hint in the article to add such a filter rule at
least for marked as ham if one likes correct headers in all cases.

After writing this article I think I have everything there to revise  and
expand the antispam docs for KMail and possibly include a section about
setting up CRM114 with KMail. Once thats well documented and understand
it would be a nice idea to try to make a script for that... this needs
more thought tough as for example SUSE doesn't even have a package for
that. So the script would likely need to ask the user from where it
should get the necessary files and ask him to download them from the
crm114 website if not available as package.

Well off completing my article and checking online IMAP accounts. I think
it should work there as well, but I guess it might need local folders for
unsure and spam mails then. Especially for spams this IMHO makes sense as
the user usually deletes all correctly as spam marked spams anyway.