[Kde-pim] using a spamfilter with an online IMAP account

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Dec 11 21:47:32 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am currently writing an Using CRM114 with KMail article for the german
Linux print magazine Linux User.

After I tested using it with POP3 and DIMAP at least a month now, I tried
using an online IMAP account now.

Well the anti spam wizard doesn't let me choose folders from that online
IMAP account. I thought I might be more clever than it, chose local
folders at first and then changed the created filter rules destination to
my intended online IMAP folders.

It somewhat works but is very slow... and classifying mails that are in
the unsure folder does not work as expected. When I classify one as spam
it reappears in the unsure folder nonetheless for example. Also mails in
the spam folder are not marked as spam.

Also operation does not seem to be very stable. I had 3 or 4 KMail
crashes.

Should I use local folders as the behavior of the antispam wizard
suggests?

With DIMAP I didn't use a folder for unsure mails as well, as refiltering
mails classified as good put them into the unsure mail folder again. I
chose the following approach instead:

1) If its detected as spam move it to the DIMAP folder for spam and mark
it as spam

2) If its detected as unsure just mark it as spam but do not sort it into
the spam folder. The user has to search the mails classified as unsure
and retrain them.

With POP3 I use an UNSURE foldern instead. I mark mails in there either as
spam or ham. The spam mails are moved to the spam folder immediately, the
ham mails remain in the UNSURE folder unless I select them an rerun
filter rules manually (press Ctrl-J in german locale). This works
reasonably well.

Any hints or recommendations? Otherwise I will just try a bit more and
describe what does seem to make sense to me. What I learn might give some
ideas for the KMail documentation. ;)

I know with IMAP using CRM114 on the serverside does make some sense, but
then not everyone has his own mailserver.

This all with the Dovecot POP3 and IMAP servers on my own virtual Debian
based server. Crashes might be related to using that server with
Dovecot... it is with a freshly created user on my IBM ThinkPad laptop.

I have to concentrate on getting ready the article this week, but I can
have a look at those crashes afterwards.