[Kde-pim] wierdness with kpilot & Treo 680

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Thu Dec 21 02:45:18 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 00:04, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> I got a new Treo 680 (the unlocked copper colored one!)

Ooooooh.  *drool*

> and I can sync with Kpilot but only if I do this:
>
> 1) Connect the usb sync cable
> 2) open kpilot
> 3) press the hot sync button on the treo data cable
> 4) Go to Settings-->Configure Kpilot
> 5) choose device
> 6) change the speed
> 7) once I click the sync immediately starts and completes successfully
>

> It works but I'd like it better if I could just press the sync button
>
> Thanks in advance

Well, hm.  The problem is that you're working with a device that none of the
KPilot developers has, so we can't really offer too much assistance being
that we can't test against the device itself.  Of course, if you were to
provide one of these shiny little devices to the kpilot developers (me), I'd
guarantee you that wee beastie would be working with kpilot quickly.  =:)

But failing that, the best advice I can give you is to try to debug the
problems as low down in the stack as possible.  First, look to see if syslog
provides any useful information as to what might be happening with the
button-press/kpilot-pickup timing.  Then, try using pilot-link's pilot-xfer
command-line utility (pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l, for instance) and see if
pilot-link is able to reliably connect every time.  If things look good
there, I'd suggest you using the latest kpilot code from kde's svn repository
(see http://kpilot.org for more details) and run kpilotDaemon, redirecting
stdout/stderr to a file so I can try to help debug the timing issues.

If you are able, you might want to stop by #kpilot on FreeNode, as Adriaan and
I are idling there most of the time.

Also, what version of kde, kpilot, pilot-link/libpisock, kernel, distribution,
and OS are you using?

--

 `
 ,