[Kde-perl] PerlQt is getting old

Ashley Winters jahqueel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 06:26:43 CEST 2005

--- Rob <kdemail-raindog at kudla.org> wrote:
> On Monday 06 June 2005 23:15, Ashley Winters wrote:
> > 2. Perl5 is showing its age. Soon, Perl5 won't be a first-choice
> > language for new programs. Now that Perl6 is under active
> > development, it seems realistic to predict seeing it deployed in
> > production around 2008-2010.
>
> I guess a lot can happen in 3-5 years, but I find it more believable
> that someone will fork perl5 rather than put the
> formlessness-by-design of perl6 into production.

You need a reason to fork something. I don't think anyone cares enough
anymore to want to fork Perl5. If someone showed that much interest in
fixing Perl5 without breaking it, they'd probably be nominated for
pumpking. Perl5 was forked in the early days (ActiveState/Win32), and
it got merged back.

As for Perl6, I can't defend my speculation there. It's wishful
thinking. Even worse, I don't see why we need more than 640K, either.

> > 3. Qt4 is a compelling platform for binding development. It'll
> > provide GPLed cross-platform support for Unix/Win32/OSX. It has a
> > 4. There is no room for a Qt-only language binding anymore. The KDE
>
> These two points seem mutually exclusive, since KDE doesn't exactly
> have portability on its high priority list.

KDE4 is the first version which really *could* be developed
cross-platform. Qt/OSX was only released 6 months before KDE-3.0.0, and
Qt3/Win32 wasn't available for GPL development.

Now that it's reasonably possible to be cross-platform, I can hope
there'd be a couple OSX/Win32 fans to pick up the ball and keep KDE4
from becoming "stuck" to the GNU OS. You're right, though, it won't
come for free. Someone has to want it. I shouldn't assume it'll happen
the way I want unless I offer to do it. :)

Ashley Winters