[Kde-perl] Is PerlQt still alive?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 16:00:26 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 16:30, Peter Daum wrote:
> Is there still any active development going on?
>
> I am totally new to perlqt and just trying to find
> out, whether it would be suitable for my purposes.
> What I am looking for, is some GUI-toolkit (mostly
> Linux) with Perl-bindings and a GUI-designer.
> It looks like the best options would be GTK2/Glade
> or PerlQt. I already tried GTK2 (which works
> reasonably
> well). If I could use Qt instead with similar ease,
> I probably would prefer that.
>
> I am a little concerned, that this might turn out to
> be another dead end: I want to reimplement an
> application, that I originally wrote with Kylix, which
> seemed to be a good idea at the time but is
> now pretty much abandoned and Kylix applications are
> becoming increasingly difficult to maintain on current
> Linux distributions.
>
> Unfortunately, PerlQt also looks a little deserted at
> first glance (Last release 2 years ago despite some
> open issues, little traffic in this mailing list ...)
> At the moment it probably still would be good enough,
> but not too far away from now, qt3 will be mostly
> replaced by qt4.
> What is your opinion: will PerlQt still be around for
> a while, keeping up with the further development in
> Qt?
I've recently ported the Smoke library to Qt 4 for the QtRuby bindings, and it
builds with 352 classes wrapped (see the KDE svn trunk version of
kdebindings). There is more work to be done yet on how to convert the
slots/signal handling to work with Qt 4, but it looks as though it will work
for QtRuby. I hope Ashley and Germain will pick up on the changes, and help
with porting even if they don't have time themselves..

-- Richard