[Kde-perl] QT/Win32 GPL'ed! Will PerlQt provide native Win32 binaries?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 13:28:14 CET 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 20:20, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2005 1:18 pm, ryan at vbijl.net wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 06:11:55PM +0100, Hongli Lai wrote:
> > > Good news, QT/Win32 has been GPL'ed!
> > > http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000192.html
> > > See also Slashdot, OSNews, etc.
> > >
> > > Will PerlQT provide native Win32 binaries? That would be great.
> >
> > It looks like the dual licensing only applies to Qt v4.0. However,
> > it sounds like PerlQT/Win32 binaries might be possible.  I don't
> > know how the port of PerlQT to Qt 4.0 is going, or if anyone is
> > even working on it.
> >
> > -Ryan
>
> What I'm most interested in is if there are plans on extending PerlQt to
> aceess the classes in KDE libs. Will there ever be a PerlKDE?
Well two thirds of the work is getting the Smoke library working with the KDE
classes. I've done that for the KDE Korundum ruby bindings. If you use
kdebindings/kalyptus and kdebinding/smoke/kde from the KDE cvs they build a
KDE version of the Smoke lib - libsmokekde.so.

The other third of the work is porting the Korundum code to PerlKDE, and I
think Germain has made a start in the PerlQt cvs. Because PerlQt and QtRuby
work in exactly the same way underneath, it should be very much a port, and
not like starting again. The same marshallers for the various sorts of KDE
List types, and adding DCOP support to PerlKDE should be pretty much the same
as for ruby.

-- Richard