[Kde-perl] Why use perlqt?

Ole Christensen Ole.Christensen at web.de
Tue Dec 28 08:31:23 CET 2004

Kaare,

since nobody else seems to be interested to give an answer, I will try
to depict my very limited experience.

I had to take the same decision some weeks ago. I decided to go with PerlQt.

The main reason for me was the Qt Designer. It works reasonable good
with PerlQt and I am still using this approach. This may be very
different with other projects and/or programmers.

Another pro for Qt I encountered is the very sophisticated Qt
documentation. It has a really professional quality. I think noone can
seriously doubt this point. And in my opinion this is very important.

Another point: For me Qt applications simply look better.

And now the most important point of your post. Quality of PerlQt
(V3.008) is good but not bug free. What I encountered so far:

1. QToolTip do not fully work as expected. Refer to a previous thread in
this list for details.

2. Method of Qt derived classes cannot return non-scalars. Refer to a

3. For me pqt-designer only works without problems (crashes) when it is
started in same directoy as the project files. This may be due to my
installation but other people also reported crashes with pqt-designer.
When starting it in the working dir pqt-designer runs fine for me.

I got working patches for PerlQt for item 1. and 2. above. This also
means: I got excellent support from the people reading the list. This is
a very important point too. There are probably other issues left in
PerlQt. I do not know why there is no more recent release of PerlQt. But
since the authors do their work for free, I think we are not in a
situation to complain about that.

The KDE bindings are not finished yet afaik. There is a cygwin package
for Windows in the download section at sourceforge. I never have tried
it and certainly will not. Qt for windows has a commercial license.

Summed up I would say PerlQt is worth a try. I am very satisfied with it
up to now (~6000 lines of code so far). If you have more detailed
questions please let me know by private mail.

Season's Greetings,

Ole.