Profile a widget style

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Sep 3 00:01:31 CEST 2010

Le Wednesday 01 September 2010, Beat Wolf a écrit :
> > I guess oxygen triggers primitives that are not optimized.  I know for
> > example that Oxygen draws a lot of gradian which can be slow  (And Qt X11
> > graphics system does not use the latest X11 extensions to make it fast)
>
> Are you sure about that ? i have no clue about it, but if true, shouldn't
> qt be informed and the qt X11 graphics system updated? gradients seem to
> be used quite a lot in kde, so that would give a big speedboost.

Nokia does not have the willing/resources to work on many different
graphicssystems.
Optimizing a graphics system is a lot of work, and the focus is on the opengl
and raster graphics engine.  The natives ones (x11/mac/...) have the problem
that they don't give consistent resuts accross platform, and requires a lot of
maintenance.
There raster is great because it works the same on all platform, and is a
common codebase, easier to maintain.

> and i agree that using raster is not a solution, 99% of the users use X11,
> so it should work for them.

Maybe switching more application by default to raster is the solution. if not
the entire desktop.  This need to be tested before.
So 99% of the user would have fast KDE.