Fwd: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 5 12:45:28 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:16:32AM +0100, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:26, Koos Vriezen wrote:
>
> > According to debian/fontconfig.postinst, that's already done by dpkg
> > when installing.
>
> Perhaps it didn't happen? Anyway, by 99.9% chance if you see a slowdown then
> its because fc-cache didn't work. run "fc-cache -f" as root, multiple times,
> and each time you either change your configuration or your list of fonts (or
> touch any of the directories where fonts are installed).

I must have hit the 0.1% chance. The debian/fontconfig.postinst says:

if [ "$1" = configure ]; then
  # (Hacked up from Red Hat 8 fontconfig RPM)
  # Force regeneration of all fontconfig cache files.
  # The redirect is because fc-cache is giving warnings about ~/fc.cache
  # the HOME setting is to avoid problems if HOME hasn't been reset
  printf "Regenerating fonts cache... "
  HOME=/root fc-cache -f -v 1>/var/log/fontconfig.log 2>&1 || (printf "failed.\nSee /var/log/fontconfig.log for more information.\n"; exit 1)
  printf "done.\n"
fi

and I'm sure I saw the "Regenerating fonts cache... " line when installing.
I've seen this same slowdown on a celeron (as compared with my P4),
both running debian/testing so something really goes wrong with this
build.
I'll wait for the fontconfig-2.3.94 and report back ..

Koos