Starting KDE faster IF KDE was started when the server

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 15 17:44:01 CET 2005

On March 15, 2005 9:24, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> The reason for asking this is I believe FreeNX after login uses startkde
> command to startup kde from ground up.  By this method, it takes a lot of
> cpu time and hard drive accessing as if its starting from the beginning
> instead of halfway.
>
> Having KDE startup from boot time already, I am hoping that with a
> "special" startkde command can maybe help decrease the startup time and put
> less strain on the cpu.

if you are using NX, then you can suspend a running session. if you have the
RAM to support keeping a KDE session around fulltime (not particularly
expensive, but grows with the number of users, obviously), then you could use
this suspension feature to create a suspended session. the next time you
connect to the machine via NX, you provide your log in credentials and the
desktop is "instantly" on.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric