Starting KDE faster IF KDE was started when the server

Jonathan Chen jonachen at cisco.com
Tue Mar 15 17:24:03 CET 2005

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:17:33 +0100
> From: Alexander Kellett <lypanov at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: Starting KDE faster IF KDE was started when the server
> 	boots up?
> To: kde-optimize at kde.org
>
> yes. it will have to use your hard drive less while starting.
> unless you keep the server running. in which case, it only
> makes sense for the first person to use it. note: best not to
> keep it running though :) - uses memory Alex

The reason for asking this is I believe FreeNX after login uses startkde
command to startup kde from ground up.  By this method, it takes a lot of
cpu time and hard drive accessing as if its starting from the beginning
instead of halfway.

Having KDE startup from boot time already, I am hoping that with a "special"
startkde command can maybe help decrease the startup time and put less
strain on the cpu.

Why is it best not having KDE on at all time?

Relevant info:
RHEL 3
KDE 3.1.3 (I would love to upgrade to latest 3.2+.x branch but can not at
the moment)