KIconLoader Optimization Idea

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jun 7 19:29:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:41, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  You are aware of the fact that checking ksysoca consistency is one of the
> bottlenecks of KDE startup? There's no silver bullet solution.

Ehh, no, I wasn't aware of this.
Here are some numbers from a PIII/450 MHz.
The first run (but inside KDE) took 4.5 seconds, a second run took approx. 2.9
seconds. On a Athlon 2000+ first run 1.5 seconds, second run 1.0 second.

According to strace this seem to be the most often called system functions:
2621 brk()
3641 access()
5353 stat64()

Is access() actually faster than stat() ?
I guess there's not really a way to get rid of some of the access() calls.

AFAIK kbuildsycoca has to be run when new files have been installed or
changed. Does this have to happen on every KDE startup ? (hmm, yes, if we
want to ensure that ksycoca is always up to date  without additional
measures, like requiring to update some kind of time stamp if something has
been installed... )

Bye
Alex