KIconLoader Optimization Idea

Simon Perreault nomis80 at nomis80.org
Tue Jun 7 01:29:54 CEST 2005

On June 6, 2005 15:11, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> If you communicate via a socket you have a protocol which has to be
> interpreted, the data has to be serialized and deserialized and task
> switches happen.

Sure, but why is this slower than disk I/O? To me it seems that the task you
described is CPU bound while the current situation is I/O bound, and I would
guess that the CPU bound task should be faster.

> So who loads the icons into memory ?
> Either a server which you ask "please give me the location of icon XXX in
> shared mem" or the individual applications.

> Run strace on a kde app (e.g. konqy) and check out in how many places for
> the icon is tested.

Yes, it always needs to be repeated that some measurement often saves a lot of
work.

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80 at nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org