KIconLoader Optimization Idea

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 21:11:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Monday 06 June 2005 19:03, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Monday 06 June 2005 12:15, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Using an icon server and sockets or pipes to communicate with it and
> > transfer the icons through them will be slower than just reading the
> > files from disk.
>
> Are you sure about that?

If you communicate via a socket you have a protocol which has to be
interpreted, the data has to be serialized and deserialized and task switches
happen.

> > Shared memory is probably faster, nevertheless you have to talk
> > to the server so that it can actually load the icon.
>
> There is no server when using shared memory.

So who loads the icons into memory ?
Either a server which you ask "please give me the location of icon XXX in
shared mem" or the individual applications. Still the access to the shared
memory has to be synchronized then. Maybe this would be worth a try. Please
search the mailing lists for this exact problem. I think Waldo Bastian posted
some numbers.
I also investigated icon loading maybe 4 years ago, and one problem I found
was the big number of locations where icons are searched.
Run strace on a kde app (e.g. konqy) and check out in how many places for the
icon is tested.
It would be cool if you can come up with a nice improvement :-)

Bye
Alex