Disk usage optimizations

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Fri Feb 25 11:42:31 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 22:25, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> For KDE4 it would be nice if we could load icons more efficiently, e.g. if
> we could load all icons for a single menu with one disk access instead of
> 10.

> Oh, and did you know that the iconloader tests for 464 different icons
> before deciding that we can't find an icon for gedit? I assume that the
> kernel has cached most of that information already, if it had to hit the
> disk 464 times we would be in deep shit.

Do you think that it can make sense to add an option in KDE Performance ->
System to Cache icons location?

I think that building a location DB containing {Name} or {Name,Size} pairs
won't take that much time to build (compared to the 464 checks when an icon
is missing). On my system I have only 9057 icons and the initial cost for
building the cache will be quickly balanced.

The DB can be built on kde startup (if the option is on) and when the icon
theme changes (or maybe by 'dnotifies' on the directories where icons are
placed). When the DB is not yet ready, iconloader will behave as it is now.

If notifies on icon directories are in place, we won't loose the ability to
get a new icon or override an existing one, but that can speed up loading and
displaying of the whole desktop.

Simple test: Has anyone tried having the IconLoader always return a blank
(right sized) pixmap? Anyone volounteers for grab some numbers?

Enrico

 Sponsor:
 Innovativo, intelligente e alla moda, se queste sono le tue caratteristiche clicca qui!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2852&d=25-2