Disk usage optimizations

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Feb 22 22:41:55 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 21:25, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 February 2005 20:18, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > On February 22, 2005 11:28, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > > opening of K-Menu can last some time.
> >
> > since we use ksycoca to populate the kmenu, are you sure it's disk
> > activity that causes this?
>
> Well, from the sound of it, yes :-) It's probably due to the icon loading,
> when a menu is first shown we need to load the icons, and for each icon we
> need to hit the disk. If the IO-system is under load that can take a
> significant time.
>
> For KDE4 it would be nice if we could load icons more efficiently, e.g. if
> we could load all icons for a single menu with one disk access instead of
> 10.

Owen's and Michael's cache icon theme information as presented on the
xdg-list, should help that a lot, AFAICT; it's a binary index(mmap'd etc)
where the names are hashed, and can contain the images too(all in one file).
But perhaps it's not a possibility?

I think also Nikolas Zimmermann had plans about an "icon server", or
something.

Cheers,

		Frans