IMAP4Protocol::listDir()

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Feb 9 00:21:50 CET 2005

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 18:18, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for IMAP folders with many mails more than 30% is spent in KURL::url()
> as it's called for every mail in the folder although the url doesn't
> change. I reduced the number of url() calls by calling it outside the
> loops (i.e. from 18000 to 100 calls).
>
> Another small change is in doListEntry() where QString::number() was
> called twice for the same number.
>
> Can I commit this patch?

  Excellent!  I haven't tested your patch yet, but there are certainly many
cases like this in the imap slave.  I spent roughly a week last year fixing
these things.  I hope this makes it into 3.4, and please do continue to
profile. :-)

  Note: last year at this time, a mail check was cause cpu usage roughly 80%
in kio_imap, 20% in kmail (yes, 100% cpu).  It's now down to roughly 30% and
40% on the same setup, respectively.  Gains in kio_imap are still great, but
starting to diminish in value.  Some of the most important fixes remain to be
done in KMail, and most of those are in Dw* classes, which I believe no-one
wants to touch.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/