icefox tests issues

Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Wed Oct 20 19:26:51 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 17:42, rgfernandes wrote:
> Hi,
> I saw the page of icefox tests and play a little with code
> from kde 3.3.1.
> My first test was to change all occurrencies in kdelibs and
> kdebase packages of it++ in loops and change to ++it. For my
> surprise, I make a huge optimization in kde. My konqueror
> took about 10 seconds to open my /usr/lib directory. After
> the changes, it takes about 2 seconds. Several other
> applications open and works very faster.

That's hard to believe. An optimizer should see in most it++ cases that the
value of it was not used and therefore optimize the expression. The ++it is
often discussed in text books - but today it's only a question of personal
taste.

Benchmarking is a quite complicated thing. Are you sure that you did not
benchmark the linux kernel's caching mechanisms?

Yours Jürgen