icefox tests issues

rgfernandes rgfernandes at correioweb.com.br
Wed Oct 20 17:42:13 CEST 2004

Hi,
I saw the page of icefox tests and play a little with code
from kde 3.3.1.
My first test was to change all occurrencies in kdelibs and
kdebase packages of it++ in loops and change to ++it. For my
surprise, I make a huge optimization in kde. My konqueror
took about 10 seconds to open my /usr/lib directory. After
the changes, it takes about 2 seconds. Several other
applications open and works very faster.
The more impressive is that this changes could be made by a
simple script and don't cause new bugs. I'm wondering what
speed up we can get if makes all changes suggested in the
page.
But I have three issues with the icefox tests.
One is that these scripts seems to concentrate in kde
packages but kdelibs and kdebase. Why?? We can get more
important speed up in these packages. Tell me if I am wrong,
but these changes don't cause bugs. They can be safetily
made in kdelibs and kdebase.
The scripts to find ==QString::null and =="" don't find
!=QString::null and !="". These should be changed to
!isNull() and !isEmpty() too.
And finally, icefox says that changing "QString" to "const
QString &" in kdelibs breaks the binary compatibility, but
is this correct??? A function cannot be overloaded with
const. I think this change don't break the binary
compatibility and makes a huge improvement in speed.
To test my hypotesis, I made some change in kdelibs,
recompile only kdelibs and run my kde using the new kdelibs.
The changes was made in key classes, like klistview, kdialog
and others. It works perfectly, with a single change: it
runs very faster.
One more question. Where I can send the patches to be
applied?? Could be here??

Raul Fernandes
rgfernandes at correioweb.com.br