Performance tips updated

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 11 18:51:26 CEST 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 16:04, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance+Tips now has a draft
> of the updated version of the performance tips. Comments or whatever are
> welcome. Just in case there would be some people bored enough to check
> spelling, formating and this kind of stuff, feel free to do so.
>
>  People willing to do any content changes, discuss it first here. Anybody
> who changes content or does a rollback without asking first will be
> spanked, turtured with a comfy chair, run over by a truck, fed to sharks,
> and if they manage to survive, also shot. Just in case the person who
> rolled back some of my changes last week without asking anybody is here, be
> a wise guy and don't raise your hand.

One suggestion: reducing the number of applications started when kde starts
-additionally to the /opt/kde/share/autostart/ create a directory /opt/kde/
share/dontautostart/ and move all desktop files you don't need from
autostart/ to dontautostart/

And another thought: konqys memory usage can grow quite high when browsing the
web and having a lot of tabs open. Since free() doesn't give the memory back
to the OS, the memory stays used even if you close all the tabs. So from time
to time it helps to really terminate some konqy processes (as opposed to
reusing preloaded ones).

Bye
Alex