Has The performance been forgotten?

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Mon Oct 4 12:17:52 CEST 2004

Bahram Alinezhad <alineziad at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:20041003110648.55148.qmail at web60708.mail.yahoo.com:

> See the text attachment...
> Once I posted this to "SuSE" mailing list, but no
> enough attention paid to it;
> I am not sure that this performance issue is due to
> KDE, because some people believe that this only
> pertains to SuSE (not KDE).

My hunch would be that your system isn't prelinked. Try:

    	LD_DEBUG=statistics konsole -invalid

Then look at the statistics:
     16744:     runtime linker statistics:
     16744:                final number of relocations: 0
     16744:     final number of relocations from cache: 2272

The 'final number of relocations' should be very small. e.g. on a system
without prelinked binaries:

     16772:     runtime linker statistics:
     16772:                final number of relocations: 29518
     16772:     final number of relocations from cache: 62854

I'm not familiar with Suse 9.1, but I'm sure they also provide a prelink
package.

Remember: each time you upgrade a dependant library, you need to run the
prelink phase again (on RH/FC this is done from a cron job).