Has The performance been forgotten?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Oct 3 19:28:47 CEST 2004

Hi Bahram,

On Sunday 03 October 2004 13:06, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> See the text attachment...
> Once I posted this to "SuSE" mailing list, but no
> enough attention paid to it;
> I am not sure that this performance issue is due to
> KDE, because some people believe that this only
> pertains to SuSE (not KDE).

interesting figures.
Just some thoughts: starting konsole took approx. 2.0 seconds with my old
K6/200 with KDE 2.x. The transition from KDE 2 to KDE 3.0 slowed KDE as a
whole down (I think Qt 3 must be to blame).
I think with Qt 4 we have a big opportunity to gain a lot of speed and memory.
Qt4 will be split into QtCore and QtGui. maybe we use this to split some
kdelibs in a way that some of them only need to link to QtCore and not the
whole Qt.

An another note, I always had the impression that Suse runs much slower than
Slackware (which I am using). Especially Yast is dog slow.

At work I'm using KDE 3.1 on a PIII/450 with 128 MB RAM. Runs fast enough,
starts (until KDE is loaded) faster than Win2K on a P4/2.0 GHz.
KDE takes maybe 30 seconds, konsole maybe 2 or 3, konqy maybe 5.

There must be something wrong with your setup (I heard some things about
fontconfig...). Maybe try another distro ?

Bye
Alex

P.S. we can always need people willing to work on performance issues