KMail stats

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 08:47:39 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 02:20, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 03:03, George Staikos wrote:
> > The KMail progress dialog HAS to go
>
> I don't think it does. It should simply be updated less often, from a timer
> instead of from the slots that e.g. get data, just like we do in
> kio/job.cpp (Alex Neundorf's optimizations).

   Well I must admit that I am biased against it because it really interferes
with normal use of kmail, and without it there is no way to know what the
progress of your imap sync is.  It's very obtrusive.  Ignoring that, it is a
serious percentage of cpu usage and something has to be done either way.  I
was thinking that a better solution would look something like a hideable
panel in the view that has a subsection for each active transfer.  It would
show the overall progress (% of folders synced?) and the individual current
folder sync progress, along with account/hostname, encryption state, etc.
Less intrusive, more scalable, hideable and restoreable, and consistent
across accounts.

   By the way one of the biggest problems with current one is if you have lots
of accounts and use animated progress bars, plastik spends loads of time
doing animations.  Due to this, I think it's almost necessary to have only
one progress bar anyway.  In the meantime I've had to disable animated
progress bars here.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/