Using madvise for ld.so

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 15:22:06 CET 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

> Maybe I had been a little impatient to post my results. I probably saw
> caching effects... Trying the patched and unpatched libraries, just
> after reboot, i obtain a startup time of ~18s. Does it need linux 2.6?

No.  At least the SuSE 2.4 kernel (don't know about official 2.4 kernels)
does implement madvise().

FWIW I also didn't see any real speedup.  time for startkde (control-C'ed
after the splash goes away) is from 22.2-23.2 down to about 21.8 seconds.
Time for a 'konsole -e true' (without _anything_ KDE loaded) from 7.1-8.3
down to 6.5-7.2.  Every time with cache cleared, and on a kernel 2.6
machine.

So, it's a bit, but not that much.  Hmm.  I hoped for something more ;)

Ciao,
Michael.