Using madvise for ld.so

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 16 15:14:31 CET 2004

On Tuesday 16 of March 2004 14:30, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 14:16, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 March 2004 12:52, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > >  Could somebody give it a try and post some results? Michael says that
> > > he didn't get that high speedup as I did. Refer to the 'preloading of
> > > binaries' thread for details.
> >
> > With standard glibc t takes ~15 seconds from kdm screen to the removal of
> > the splash screen. With the patched glibc it goes down to ~8.
> > How does the patch affect memory-challenged machines, though?

 I don't know ;). I tried with RAM full, and it seemed to make no difference
(i.e. it didn't get worse with the patch).

> Maybe I had been a little impatient to post my results. I probably saw
> caching effects... Trying the patched and unpatched libraries, just after
> reboot, i obtain a startup time of ~18s. Does it need linux 2.6?

 No, 2.4 here. BTW, you can turn the feature off with LD_NOMADVISE=1. I have
to admit I haven't tried it after reboot, I only cleared cache; I'll test
this. Another thing that comes to my mind is that if you start from KDM, you
already pull a good portion of the libraries in the memory when KDM is
started - you have to use XDM or startx.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org