Some optimization opportunities

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Sat Jun 19 18:34:27 CEST 2004

On Saturday 19 June 2004 17:39, Daniël Mantione wrote:

> My favourite tool is Neuquant:
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dekker/NEUQUANT.HTML
>
> Often you don't even need dithering with this incredible quantizer.

Quite interesting! On my 16-bit display, the dithered image is much better
than the original, which obviously shows banding...

> Now, on topic, KDE's 16x16 pixel icons only consist of 256 pixels an can
> be converted without quality loss.

I wanted to point this out too... But for 16x16 icons, the palette would grow
bigger than the pixel data! Unless the icon could be converted to very few
colors, there would be not much to be gained from the conversion.