KFileIVI optimization: less QPixmaps created

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jun 9 15:13:08 CEST 2004

I was reading a very old mail from Carsten Pfeiffer about possible optimizations in
libkonq's KFileIVI ("icon view item"), and he mentionned the fact that QPixmaps
are created in there even when not using thumbnails. Since the QPixmap constructor
calls XCreatePixmap immediately (even for null pixmaps), we might gain from building
those pixmaps on demand. I've done that and it seems to work, but it obviously means
more new/deletes for the case when we _are_ using thumbnails (or overlays).
So this raises the question whether the change is worth it, and it's not the kind of
change that calltree can help with, I guess (since some of it is about the X server).
What do you think? Any way to measure the gain we get from it? Or should I go
ahead with this change anyway?