More symbol export stuff -- GCC Visibility patch

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jul 20 20:57:42 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 13:37, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> Let me give you some figures and then ask a question please ...
>
> Startup times
> --------------
> Thanks for trying to make KDE faster. People used to say that Linux boots
> faster than windows -  but I noticed that I prefer booting a Windows
> client to manage my Linux Server. What is wrong with Linux/KDE? Windows
> saves me some time! Here the numbers (on the same P4 2.66 GHz computer):
>
> Windows 2003 boots in      27s      Login until Gui takes  3s  (three !!!!)
> SuSE 9.1 Kernel 2.6 boots in  45s   Login until KDE takes 18s

Ok, I could provide other numbers. At work I compared a PIII 450 running
Slackware 8.1 with a P4 2.2 running Win2k.
The KDE desktop on the slow Slackware box was faster there then the Win2K
desktop. But you are right that Win XP boots significantly faster.

I guess this depends a lot on the distro (I also have the impression that Suse
boots especially slow).
You can probably disable some stuff when Suse boots.
have a look at kde/share/Autostart and move away the desktop files you don't
need, then all these things won't be started when KDE starts (I always create
a folder "DontAutostart" where I move these files to).
Also have a look whether you need all system services which are started on
Suse.

Another idea would be to delay some things during booting, so that the display
manager (KDM) is started and when it is running start the remaining system
services (httpd, smbd, rpcd, portmapper, ...)

> In other words Linux/KDE keeps you waiting more than two times longer than
> Windows 2003.
>
> Question
> ---------
> What about Linker Version scripts? I thought somebody is trying to create
> them automatically. Is there any progress?

From following this mailing list, I'd say yes.

Bye
Alex