More symbol export stuff -- GCC Visibility patch

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Tue Jul 20 13:37:20 CEST 2004

Let me give you some figures and then ask a question please ...

Startup times
--------------
Thanks for trying to make KDE faster. People used to say that Linux boots
faster than windows -  but I noticed that I prefer booting a Windows  client
to manage my Linux Server. What is wrong with Linux/KDE? Windows saves me
some time! Here the numbers (on the same P4 2.66 GHz computer):

Windows 2003 boots in      27s      Login until Gui takes  3s  (three !!!!)
SuSE 9.1 Kernel 2.6 boots in  45s   Login until KDE takes 18s

In other words Linux/KDE keeps you waiting more than two times longer than
Windows 2003.

Question
---------
What about Linker Version scripts? I thought somebody is trying to create them
automatically. Is there any progress?

Jürgen