KDaemonApplication

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue May 27 14:30:27 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 13:21, Jordi wrote:

> hi,
> In nowadays KDE there are several non GUI apps like kded klauncher... that are
> non-GUI apps but as they use KApplication or KUniqueApplication has a lot of
> dependences and  overload.
>
> I'm also i'm trying to run parts of kde (for instance konqueror) in a minimal
> system,  when i run kded  "standard theme crystalsvg is not found" message is
> displayed. It's not a problem for me but it seems pretty bad design having
> something like kded or klauncher wondering about icon themes.
>
> What about KDaemonApp or something like that, with as little dependencies as
> possible (not initialiting as many things as kapplication does), to be able
> to write lightweight daemons. Or at least to have daemons that knows as
> little as possible about GUI.

The boolean arguments to the KApplication constructor allow to tell it
that no GUI will be used in the application (=> no need for KDaemonApp or so).
Note that this means not even a dialog box.
kded has so many modules that it's impossible to be sure it won't ever pop up
a message box. Disabling GUI support in klauncher sounds good though.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer