Menus: unnecessary repaints?!

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Thu Jun 5 15:46:50 CEST 2003

> When I am using KDE via a slow internet connection, I can see lots of
> things that look like more work is done than is needed to draw stuff.
> I would recommend all kde-optimize people to try this yourself.

Problem is that people don't have low bandwidth in mind when designing. (ie
good example here is how Konsole works.. when the screen scrolls, the
entire text is repainted, instead of just doing a scroll + repaint of the
new line -- this might make the implementation more abstract, but it's a
killer on low bandwidth connections)

But this problem with the menu's just seems wrong. I can't think of any
reason why repainting the entire menu is necessary.