Menus: unnecessary repaints?!

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Thu Jun 5 15:08:56 CEST 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Andras Mantia wrote:

> On Thursday 2003 June 05 11:30, Karl Vogel wrote:
> > I'm running a KDE 3.1.2 session on a remote X server and it appears that
> > menu's are repainted completely when you move between menu entries. e.g. if
> > I select a menu and then move between menu entries 1-2 repeatedly, I see
> > the entire menu (all entries) flash. I only see the graphic icons in front
> > of the text flash, the text itself appears to be stable (so I don't know if
> > that also get's repainted).
> I see also the text flashing in the K menu. I have an Athlon XP 2000+ with

I am running KDE from a remote Windows/Exceed session on a regular basis
myself. Especially if you have a very slow connection, you can see exactly
how KDE is drawing everything. I think this could be used as a diagnostic
tool to find actions which use more drawing commands than necessary.

When I am using KDE via a slow internet connection, I can see lots of
things that look like more work is done than is needed to draw stuff. I
would recommend all kde-optimize people to try this yourself.

Dik