memory usage vs libvorbisenc

Jordi mumismo at wanadoo.es
Fri Dec 26 23:09:57 CET 2003

> The cause is a very badly coded accoustic model embedded in libvorbisenc as
> unshared, non-pic data. I've spend some hours recoding the lib, but gave up
> for now.
>
> does anyone see a chance of being able to dlopen this lib when necessary? I
> don't think I ever encoded a vorbis file myself, and I don't think I will
> ever, and this is the same for a large amount of people. Therefore I think
> wasting 2 MB of memory is too much, especially for lowend hardware.

I think that someone will argue that this will need a lot of changes in a lot
of places.  I think today is libvorbisenc and tomorrow other and other...
We need something general to deal with this libraries, maybe something like
dcopClient that don't create a dcop till we call it, we can load the library
till something is called...
This idea maybe can be extended to "resources" like not loading the bookmarks
till they are accessed but maintained in memory afterwards ....