memory usage vs libvorbisenc

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Fri Dec 26 21:33:14 CET 2003

Hi,

I've had a look at the unshared, read/write memory maps of typical kde
environment, and I noticed that arts, when vorbis is detected, links against
vorbisenc unconditionally. That means knotify and artsd, which are running in
a typical environment, are each eating 900kb of unshared, non-pic data (that
means hundreds of relocations to resolve during startup).

Even worse, any app using arts is going to require this lib, like kolf,
kwifimanager, or the audiopreview-kfile-plugin.

So in a typical setup we waste about 2 MB of memory, when using kwifimanager
or the audiofilepreview (that means each konqueror filemode instance) adds
another MB.

The cause is a very badly coded accoustic model embedded in libvorbisenc as
unshared, non-pic data. I've spend some hours recoding the lib, but gave up
for now.

does anyone see a chance of being able to dlopen this lib when necessary? I
don't think I ever encoded a vorbis file myself, and I don't think I will
ever, and this is the same for a large amount of people. Therefore I think
wasting 2 MB of memory is too much, especially for lowend hardware.

Dirk