Speed sensation

Eray Ozkural exa at kablonet.com.tr
Tue Apr 22 17:48:49 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 09:21, Roger Larsson wrote:
> If you have a machine with LOTS of RAM (256MB is not enough) you can test
> test this.
> * Time KDE startup from a cold machine.
> * Log out.
> * Time another KDE starup (no restart of computer).
>   This time files are in Linux file cache.

This obviously doesn't test your theory. Any other suggestions?

I am aware of the latency of disk seeks, but as I said the above test doesn't
measure the number of disk seeks and therefore the additional cost a parallel
startup would induce compared to potential gains. It was once said that
parallelized system startup can actually be faster than SysV init scripts so
similar behavior can possibly be expected in KDE startup (assuming those
measurements were accurate). There should be a certain degree of parallelism
(to be found empirically) that would result in improved performance, by about
15-20% I guess (very wild guess).

Note that this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the performance
of shared library loading can be improved by forcing whole files into the
cache. Since both are sequential file access, maybe it's just lousy disk
programming in the loader (likely) or a bug in the kernel (again likely)?
Same gain for all file systems? (not very likely)

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org