[Kde-nonlinux] Please help : accidental installation of kdelibs 2.2.2_1 on top of kde3.0_1

Dave Feustel dfeustel at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 01:34:49 CEST 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 18:26, Bharma Ji wrote:
> I am using KDE3.0_1 running on FreeBSD 4.6.2 (installed after a great deal
> of effort).
> I then installed cervisia 1.4.1_1 from
> ftp11.us.freebsd.org<http://ftp11.us.freebsd.org>using pkg_add.
> Unfortunately cervisia also installed
> kdelibs2.2.2_1
> Now I am unable to start KDE desktop. I get an error 'Unable to start
> ksmserver. Check your installation'.
> I then uninstaled cervisia and kdelibs2.2.2_1 using pkg_delete,
> Now I get even more errors saying 'Unable to find kdeinit and ksmserver.
> Check your installation'
> Search of the filesystem shows that kdeinit has disappeared
> What is the fastest way to get out of this. I am hard pressed for time and
> did not expect cervisia to silently mess up the kde installation.
>
> I am willing to look at different ways so that I can at least get the
> desktop started
> Thanks for any answers

I had a similar, although much less serious problem on openbsd.
After I deleted the packages that screwed up my system, I did a
pkg_add -f of the damaged package to restore the missing files
(libraries). The -f option tells the openbsd pkg_add program to add
the package no matter what conflicts are discovered. I don't know
whether the freebsd pkg_add has that option.

--
Tired of having to defend against Malware?
You know: trojans, viruses, SPYWARE, ADWARE,