[Kde-nonlinux] Does OpenBSD Have a Spreadsheet That Prints Properly?

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Jun 14 05:57:10 CEST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 04:53 pm, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I write this as a person very committed to OpenBSD as a secure desktop.
>
> I can say from experience that, running with KDE, neither Kspread nor
> Gnumeric on OpenBSD 3.6 are useable (by me, at least) for hard copy of even
> simple spreadsheets.
>
> I am beginning to think *very* seriously about using a Windows computer
> *just* to run MS Excel so I can get reliably and straightforwardly the hard
> copy I need. Neither gnumeric nor kspread running on OpenBSD 3.6 qualify on
> the basis of my brief  experience with those two programs.
>
> I will continue to use OpenBSD for accessing the internet, but my business
> related computing/printing tasks may well have to be done on Windows.

Have you tried openOffice.org?   Their spreadsheet has the most features of
any in the open source world.

Much as I love koffice, it is sorely lacking developers, and it shows,
particularly in kspread.   That said, have you tried the very latest (Which
was either just released, or soon to be released?) some big printing bugs
were fixed in the last month, which might be enough for your needs.

In any case, please submit bug reports for what you find.  Development tends
to prioritize things that people care about first, and no bug can be fixed
until we know about it.

As a last resort, Wine can run Microsoft Office, which at least saves a
windows machine.  Though Wine runs best until Linux, so this might not be
useful to you.   Worth a try though.