[Kde-nonlinux] Multiply-defined Symbols Break Make of Kdelibs 3.3.0 on Openbsd 3.4

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 24 23:12:09 CEST 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 03:17 pm, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 03:02:32PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
>
> Dave,
>
> Considering that you account for roughly 2/3 of the traffic on
> this list for the last 3 months or so and have never gotten a
> reply from someone who's actually using KDE on OpenBSD, perhaps
> you might consider looking for a better list to report problems
> on.  Perhaps OpenBSD has one?  FreeBSD does, after all...
>
> Regards,

I have noticed also that I am practically the only person posting to
this list and also that I am getting almost no responses. This surprises
me since presumeably kde.org would like to see kde running on more
platforms. Maybe kde is happy with linux only.
I have thought a lot about the possible reasons for the
lack of response to my kde-nonlinux postings. I have especially
wondered why no one from kde.org responds.

I have started posting on the misc at openbsd list and have received
Aong with that sugestion I have actually gotten more help from the
openbsd list than from the kde-nonlinux list.

The only reason I bother to post these questions is that I am dealing
with so many unknowns trying to build a new version of kde on a new
platform for the first time using a whole bunch of new (to me) sw tools.
When I've got more experience with all of the software I'm
working with now (I come to openbsd most recently from a windows
visual C background) I will not bother to post questions since I am fairly
good at figuring things out when I have a managable set of unknowns.

At some point I will have ascended the kde
learning curve and will be able to port new versions of kde straight away
to openbsd. I just wish I could make a connection with someone who
could speed  up mastering the learning curve. I got a lot more feedback
from Trolltech while I was porting the latest Qt to Openbsd - now  I think
I've got Qt down pat.

At any rate, it's possible that kde.org doesn't consider openbsd worth
bothering about since it runs on way less than 1% of the PCs in operation.
Openbsd users have little interest in kde since for them openbsd is primarily
 a server platform, not  end user software.
Life's a Bitch, Then You Die.

I will sooner or later stop posting to this list since it ihas been so fruitless.

--

Dave Feustel 1-260-422-5330
http://www.mindspring.com/~dfeustel