[Kde-nonlinux] KDM [513] Abnormal helper termination, code 0, signal 5.

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sun May 30 15:31:29 CEST 2004

[cc'ing kde at freebsd.org to see if any of the other KDE/FreeBSD regulars
have seen a similar problem]

On Sunday 30 May 2004 16:22, Max Russell wrote:
> Hi-
>

> I also posted this to BSDforums.org, but would appreciate any help:
>

> I've now set up FreeBSD 5.2 about 6 times on my Thinkpad 600e. I have
> no difficulty with the whole install or so on, and I can configure X
> and start it, and it looks lovely, however after I have edited
> /etc/ttys to include ttyv8 to /usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon on secure,
> and made sure that the command exec startkde is in the relevant
> files, I reboot the machine and it locks when it should be starting
> up KDE.

Is this lockup when logging into your own KDE session, or when kdm
itself starts? Can you, for example, log into a "failsafe" session
without a problem?

> The last message I receive in text-mode prior to failure is KDM [513]
> Abnormal helper termination, code 0, signal 5.

Yep, I see them too, they don't seem to cause any problems for me. After
getting those, everything seems to work fine.

> I have not recompiled my kernel prior to this point, and I have not
> edited the rc.conf (would these help?)

Probably won't make any difference, KDE packages for FreeBSD are built
against a stock GENERIC kernel and without custom rc.conf rules.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org