[Kde-nonlinux] my first post (read:newbie alert!!!)

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sat May 29 09:56:19 CEST 2004

Hi Matthew

On Saturday 29 May 2004 10:37, Matthew wrote:
> hey,
>
> my name is matthew and i use kde on FreeBSD 4.4.  I really dig it  it
> is really intuitive and i love the various colors/themes available.
>
> my question is, i run v2.2 of kde and i'd like to upgrade... but
> there aren't any binaries for *BSD .... that I can find.  I am
> willing to give a go at compiling from source, but I need some
> guidence.
>
> if there is anyone who would be willing to be my personal guru for
> this dnload/compile/install, I would be willing to write some
> "newbie-friendly" documentation of the process

FreeBSD 4.4 is very old now, and you're missing an awful lot of updates
and security fixes there. The -STABLE branch is now up to 4.10, and
it's probably worth your while to update to that.

The KDE/FreeBSD team produces packages of the latest KDE for 4.10, and
if you'd like to upgrade your whole system we can help you. I'm cc'ing
kde at freebsd.org which is probably a better forum to get help on this
matter.

Cheers,

Andy